- This event has passed.
Data management I: Introduction to data management using Stata
October 6, 2015 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm$149
A 4-hour workshop taught by Ozan Jaquette, Ph.D.
In the real world, creating the analysis dataset can be more challenging than conducting analyses. This is the first workshop in a two-part series that teaches the core skills of data management. Learning these skills will help researchers save time while increasing data quality. This series is taught using Stata statistical software, which offers an excellent combination of data manipulation capabilities, user friendliness, and cutting-edge analytic techniques. The workshop will introduce new Stata users to the most fundamental data management skills, for example, importing data into Stata, checking data quality, creating variables, and manipulating data using built-in Stata functions. Prior to the workshop, students will be given access to the datasets and Stata “do-files” so they can run commands on their computer during the workshop.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Use Stata “do-files” to run commands and create reproducible analysis datasets
- Create Stata datasets from Excel spreadsheets or data stored in other formats;
- Investigate data quality and fix data errors; create new variables;
- Use Stata functions to manipulate data; convert “string” variables to numeric and vice-versa;
- Create and format date variables.
After completing Data Management I, students will be prepared to take Data Management II, which teaches students more advanced data management skills, such as merging and appending, performing calculations across variables, and how to automate tasks using loops and user-defined programs.
Pricing and Schedule
Time: Tuese, 12PM to 4PM (EST)
Time permitting, Dr. Jaquette will also answer questions about participants’ specific research projects. Participants can ask questions via chat, microphone, or telephone. In order to allow sufficient time for questions, the number of workshop participants is limited to 30.
Who should attend?
This workshop is intended for participants who have Stata installed on their computer but who are new to Stata or have limited experience using Stata. Additionally, participants should have a basic familiarity with statistics.
If you are looking for a more advanced Stata data management course, check out Data Management II.
- Overview of data management skills you should master and where to find help on data management
- Using Stata do-files to run Stata commands
- Importing/reading data into Stata
- Investigating data patterns, checking data quality, and cleaning data
- Creating variables
- Using built-in Stata functions to manipulate data
- Converting “numeric” variables to “string” variables and vice-versa
- Creating and formatting date variables
About the instructor
Ozan Jaquette is an assistant professor of higher education at the University of Arizona. His research investigates change over time in the enrollment management behavior of colleges and universities. He teaches courses in higher education finance and applied statistics with a focus on quantitative program evaluation. He has published a chapter on creating longitudinal analysis datasets and has served on technical review panels for the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) and for the National Postsecondary Student Aid Study (NPSAS).
Learn more about Dr. Jaquette here.Register