- This event has passed.
Student success prediction at your fingertips: Developing online dashboards with Microsoft Power BI©
April 23, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm$200
A 5-hour workshop taught by Serge Herzog, Ph.D.
Participants of this workshop will benefit from also taking our Predictive Analytics workshop.Register
The purpose of this workshop is to teach education professionals how to build online dashboards to predict student outcomes literally with ‘the push of a button’. Participants learn how to use common data files (Excel, CSV etc) with Power BI©, and how to create dashboards with interactive data visualization and drill-down tools that display predicted student outcomes (e.g. admission yield, enrollment persistence, course grades, semester GPA) at the click of a button. Step-by-step demonstration and guidance allow participants to develop their own dashboards with furnished sample data files and dashboard designs that can be readily used as templates at their own institutions. The hands-on workshop teaches the entire process of dashboard development from data import to online dashboard activation for end-user access.
Note: Participation requires computer access with MS Excel (2010/2013) and MS Power BI©, which can be downloaded for free here.
By the end of the workshop, participants should know how to do the following:
- Import, edit, and store data files in Power BI, and how to create relational data structures using multiple imported files;
- Use preloaded and imported Power BI© visualization functions for data editing, coding, disaggregation, and interactive display reporting;
- Design step-by-step a dashboard using a range of visualization tools for ‘input’ selection parameters and predicted outcome measures that are intuitive and easy to understand;
- Use multiple data files to create easy-to-use dashboards for interactive reporting of predicted key outcome metrics (e.g., student retention, graduation, course grades etc);
- and use the administrative portal to define user access, data security, account management, and monitor dashboard user navigation and traffic.
Pricing and schedule
Time: Thursday, April 23, 1PM to 6PM (EST)
We offer $25 graduate student and multiple workshop discounts. Find out about our discounts here.
Time permitting, Dr. Herzog will also answer questions about participants’ specific projects. Participants can ask questions via chat, microphone, or telephone. In order to allow sufficient time for questions, the number of workshop participants is limited to 30.
Who should attend?
Anyone, within or outside the education community, who wishes to develop and provide interactive online access to forecasting data based on online selected sample parameters that define a population of interest. While the workshop uses student outcome data for demonstration, the step-by-step guidance to develop a dashboard is equally applicable to other data and outcomes (e.g. forecasting budget revenues, expenditures, or other quantifiable outcomes).
Participants of this workshop will benefit from also taking our Predictive Analytics workshop.
About the instructor
Serge Herzog, Ph.D., has been the Director, Office of Institutional Analysis, and Consultant, Center for Research Design & Analysis, University of Nevada, Reno since 2001. His research has been covered in the Chronicle of Higher Education, the University Business Magazine, and Campus Technology Magazine among others. Most recently, he co-edited (with Nicolas Bowman) Methodological Advances and Issues in Studying College Impact (New Directions for Institutional Research) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2014.Register